Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Getting started in the direct sales industry


Getting Started In The Direct Sales Industry


I remember when I went to my first home party several years ago. Watching the rep demonstrate her products really impressed me and all I could think to myself was "I could never stand up in front of people and do that". Years later I did take the leap! I joined a company that had products that I used and believed in. I would like to share some tips with you to get started. This is not an article about how to book parties and recruit. Those are tips that you should natur...


work at home,wahm,work from home,business opportunities,direct sales,direct selling,home party plans


I remember when I went to my first home party several years ago. Watching the rep demonstrate her products really impressed me and all I could think to myself was "I could never stand up in front of people and do that". Years later I did take the leap! I joined a company that had products that I used and believed in. I would like to share some tips with you to get started. This is not an article about how to book parties and recruit. Those are tips that you should naturally pick up as you go through your training and network with others in your business. What I do hope to show you is how to choose the right company and overcome any initial reservations you have about going into business for yourself.


First, do you have a company in mind? While it is important to join a company that pays a decent commission you want to make sure that you are passionate about the products. Think about what you enjoy and go from there. For me I chose a home party plan that offered home decor because decorating my home is something that I have always enjoyed. I also went to many home parties and enjoyed the decorating tips and presentations. Think about what you enjoy and most likely you will find a direct sales company in that niche. You will find direct sales companies that offer anything from home decor to gourmet food to jewelry and so much more. Check out the many work at home sites that are geared toward women and you will find several. Just go to google and type in "wahm" in the google search box and you will find listings of several great work at home sites with information on a variety of companies.


Once you have decided on your niche then it is time to decide on a company. If you were to chose home decor like I did you will most likely find several companies that specialize in that niche so how do you choose? There are many advantages to being one of the first reps with a new company but on the other hand you might feel more comfortable joining an established company. If you want to join an establlished company visit and check to see if the company that you are thinking about is listed with the direct selling association.


Did you find a company that you are interested in joining? Go ahead and ask for information but let the potential sponsor know that you are looking at different companies. Be sure to inquire about what fees will be involved to join. We have all heard that if anyone asks you for money up front then it must be a scam right? While there are scams out there that you need to be aware of, you also need to realize that in direct sales you are working for yourself and there will be costs involved in running your own business. These costs could include the initial cost of your kit, product catalogs, sales supplies, etc. Some companies may offer a better commission but the cost of supplies may be higher.


Another thing to keep in mind is that even if you do find a company that you are interested in you want to make sure that you can work with your potential sponsor. Just like when you shopped around different companies it is also acceptable to talk to different reps within one company and find someone that you can work with. It doesn't necessarily have to be the rep with the most experieince. What is important is to find someone who knows the policies of the company and is enthusiastic about helping you. Ask her what kind of training she provides and about various online groups that you can join for support.


Next you will have to decide just who you would like to work with. With some companies you are allowed to join under anyone you please while others prefer you join with someone local. The advantages of working with someone locally is that you can train with her in person and maybe even do local events together. On the other hand you may find that you really click with someone that you met from another state. Either way you will want to see if there is local training in your area. If not you should be able to learn what you need through the training materials in your kit as well as through your sponsor.


So now you have picked your company, gone through the training, booked some parties (usually starting with friends and famiily) and you are ready to get started! While you may be nervous keep this in mind: The more that you know about and believe in your product the easier it is to talk about and sell. Practice your demonstration at home in front of your spouse or even in front of a mirror if you need to.. If you are worried that you are going to forget something then go ahead and write down key notes on business cards. And what if you do make a few mistakes in your presentation? Don't worry! It happens to even the most experienced so just laugh it off and go on and have a great time!


 



Recommended For You



No comments:

Post a Comment